Possibilities of urban high-rise multi-storey buildings in a timber-frame method with target course eight or more floors
Research of urban high-rise multi-storey buildings in a timber-frame construction method. Fundamental clarification of the feasibility in relation to the supporting structure, fire prevention and security. SWOT analysis as well as economic, ecological research concerning sustainable design.
Titel und Synopse
Entwicklung und Untersuchung eines städtischen Hochhaustypus in Holzbauweise. Grundsätzliche Klärung der Machbarkeit in Bezug auf Tragwerk, Brandschutz und Personenschutz. Erstellen einer systematischen Stärken-Schwächen-Analyse samt ökonomischer und ökologischer Untersuchung im Sinne einer nachhaltigen Entwicklung.
Project description / tasks
Eight or more storeys made of timber - the goal of the Eightplus (8+) project is to investigate if this vision can become reality. If we want to establish timber construction as an equally suitable alternative in architecture, our strategies in that method should be tested in the urban area. Eightplus deals with this complex subject by carrying out an extended feasibility. The present research concept is thereby based on the following four pillars:
- Developing and exploring the new type of urban high-rise building - eight or more storeys - in a timber composite construction method along with office use.
- Fundamental clarification of the feasibility in relation to the supporting structure, prefabrication and assembly as well as clarification of fire prevention and personal security.
- A SWOT analysis and a cost analysis to evaluate the construction type as well as a risk analysis including an insurance model.
- Research on the market-oriented positioning in reference to the economic and ecological relevance to the urban context in terms of sustainable development.
Method of research
Setting of objectives in meetings of those involved in the project (see list of participants). Development and research in small groups. Merging and discussing of the results in meetings of all those involved in the project.
- The building of 20 standard storeys in timber construction was investigated and proven. Calculation according to Eurocode.
- The relevant economical criteria for the realization of the project are in the shell construction. Four different types of construction for the timber structure were analysed and compared to each other. All construction types were measured and are capable of bearing.
- All construction types were calculated and evaluated.
- The costs for the core type in timber construction are 12% higher compared to solid construction.
- The fire prevention applied meets the demands of high-rise buildings (ONR 22000), except the use of flammable instead of non-combustible material. Fire prevention and evacuation were proven.
- All risks for people in the building can be minimized, in addition safety measures are raised by intention.
- Passive house standard can be applied to the building regarding heating and cooling load. Therefore appropriate glazing, shading arrangements, increase of the thermal mass in the ceilings as well as natural ventilation is required.
DI Peter Krabbe
- MSc.B.Arch. Bugra Ceteci
- Mag. Elisabeth Striessnig
- Milan Mijalkovic
- Margit Grausam
Project or cooperation partner
- TU Wien, ITI
- Holzforschung Austria / Bautechnik
- WIEHAG Holding GMBH
- Vasko + Partner Ingenieure ZT GmbH
- UNIQA Sachversicherungen
- brand Rat ZT GmbH
- PE CEE GmbH
- Rhomberg Bau GmbH
- Arsenal Research
schluder architektur ZT GmbH
Tel.: +43 (1) 533 65 34
Fax: +43 (1) 533 65 34-9